After great sex, you can’t hide certain things: a good mood, a contagious energy and a smile lasting hours. But beyond simple pleasure, some researchers have discovered additional health benefits that only come from having sex.
1. According to studies at Queens University in Belfast, Ireland, having sexual relations at least three times a week was shown to cut in half the risk of a heart attack.
2. Sex boosts levels of immunoglobulin A, an antibody that protects the body from catching colds and other infections. Several studies have shown that immunological functioning improves by up to 30 percent.
3. Sex reduces stress in general, as well as blood pressure.
4. It helps with weight loss. Depending on intensity, maintaining sexual relations for 30 minutes can burn 55-200 calories.
5. While it’s true that most people already try to achieve orgasm, now there’s another reason: Orgasms release oxytocin, a hormone that improves sleep quality. They also release endorphins that relieve pain (headaches or arthritis, for example).
6. Endocrinologists at Columbia University in the United States have discovered that women who have sexual relations at least once a week have more regular menstrual cycles.
7. Having sex creates a feeling of personal satisfaction. Don’t be surprised if other people detect more self-confidence.
8. It helps prevent cancer! According to the American Medical Association, the more times a man ejaculates, the less likely he is to develop prostate cancer.
9. For women, sexual relations help tone pelvic muscles, providing better support to the uterus and bladder, which translates to better urine control.
10. Sex promotes longer living. Many doctors, including Mehmet Oz, famous in the U.S. and Latin America for his books and TV programs, say that regularly having sex increases your lifespan.
11. Sex makes people happy. A happy person develops better in all facets of life, including financially!
12. According to Dr. David Weeks, a clinical neuropsychologist at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital in Scotland, an active sex life helps slow down and reduce the aging process. A healthy diet, good sunscreen and regular sex can help you stay away from the doctor’s office.