After detaining the mayor of Nicoya, Marco Antonio Jiménez, the Prosecutor’s Office has stated this June 14th that the government employee is now also under investigation for two alleged counts of sexual abuse against an adult. These crimes allegedly took place last year within the Municipality’s facilities.
Although they didn’t name anyone in the charges, the Prosecutor’s Office said that the victim is a municipal employee.
As preventative measures, the Integrity, Transparency, and Anti-corruption Prosecutor from Santa Cruz will request that Jiménez be suspended from his position and that he be prohibited from approaching the Municipality or communicating with witnesses and victims.
The Municipality of Nicoya’s press officer, Oliver Pérez, said that as of now they haven’t received any information regarding preventative measures. He confirmed that deputy mayor Adriana Rodriguez would become mayor for as long as the courts dictate.
Additionally, Pérez said that within the municipality workers have been unaware of the alleged sexual assault of which Jiménez is accused.
The Voice of Guanacaste attempted to get to know the version of the Municipality’s head of human resources, Jessica Oviedo, but she stated that she was in a hearing and couldn’t take any calls.[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWsFn34o90 width:500 align:center autoplay:0]
Jiménez was detained this Tuesday, June 13, as a suspect in the alleged crimes of illegally appointing employees, abuse of authority, influencing against public assets, legislation or administration for self benefit, and illegal administering of workplace benefits.
The Prosecutor’s Office also raided the offices of Procurement, Human Resources, Auditing, the Mayor’s Office, Mayor’s Secretary’s Office, Maritime-Terrestrial Zone Department, Legal Department, and Municipal Engineering.
The Municipality’s spokesperson said that after the municipal offices opened their doors and are working normally.