Enjoying the best beaches in Guanacaste doesn’t have to hurt your wallet. There are several options that will allow you to be in extreme contact with nature in a simple, comfortable environment. Here are five of our recommendations:
- Santa Rosa National Park: It has among the best facilities in the country for camping. It has restrooms, showers, sinks for washing clothes and a grill for visitors. The rate for camping is ¢3,300 ($5.90) for adults from Costa Rica and ¢2,700 ($4.80) for children and national students. For foreigners the price is $19 and $9 for children.
- Sámara Beach: Located about 40 minutes from Nicoya. There you will find Los Cocos, a quiet camping area a few meters from the beach. It offers basic services like bathrooms, showers, drinkable water and a restaurant. You can call 2656-0665 for reservations and to ask about rates.
- Bahía Junquillal National Wildlife Refuge: It’s located inside the Guanacaste Conservation Area and you can camp next to the beach for only $2. You can access the camping grounds in your own vehicle or on bus, but you have to walk four kilometres (2.5 miles) from the last stop. It offers a grill, tables, wellwater, showers, bathrooms and a lunch area. The rate for camping is $2. Access to the protected area is an additional fee.
- Potrero Beach: It’s located about five minutes from Flamingo and is conserved as an intimate destination. Mayra Camping is a low cost camping option for about ¢4,500 ($8.00) per person. It has open air showers, bathrooms, ice for sale and electricity. You can reserve a spot by calling 2654-4213.
- Playa Hermosa Beach: Congo’s Hostel and Camping offers a BBQ zone, two stoves, sinks for washing dishes, drinkable water, showers and bathrooms. The rate is ¢4,000 ($7.15). To get there you must enter the second entrance for Playa Hermosa and walk 300 meters toward the beach. There you can rent tents for camping. It also has a hostel. For more information call the following phone numbers: 2672-1168 or 8844-4116.
If you are going to camp don’t forget:
- Sunblock, sunglasses and bug repellent.
- Clothes appropriate for warm and chilly weather. Sweater and pants for night time.
- Lanterns or flashlights.
- First aid kit
- Flint and stone, matches or a lighter for the stove.
- Tent, sleeping bag and blankets.