Editor’s note (December, 2022): this article was published in 2017. After republishing, Santa Rosa National Park indicated that they do not have camping spaces available.
Enjoying the best beaches in Guanacaste doesn’t have to hurt your wallet. There are several options that will allow you to be in extreme contact with nature in a simple, comfortable environment. Here are five of our recommendations:
- Santa Rosa National Park: It has among the best facilities in the country for camping. It has restrooms, showers, sinks for washing clothes and a grill for visitors. The rate for camping is ¢3,300 ($5.90) for adults from Costa Rica and ¢2,700 ($4.80) for children and national students. For foreigners the price is $19 and $9 for children.
- Sámara Beach: Located about 40 minutes from Nicoya. There you will find Los Cocos, a quiet camping area a few meters from the beach. It offers basic services like bathrooms, showers, drinkable water and a restaurant. You can call 2656-0665 for reservations and to ask about rates.
- Bahía Junquillal National Wildlife Refuge: It’s located inside the Guanacaste Conservation Area and you can camp next to the beach for $18.02 for foreigners adults. You can access the camping grounds in your own vehicle or on bus, but you have to walk four kilometres (2.5 miles) from the last stop. It offers a grill, tables, wellwater, showers, bathrooms and a lunch area. Access to the protected area is an additional fee.
- Potrero Beach: It’s located about five minutes from Flamingo and is conserved as an intimate destination. Mayra Camping is a low cost camping option for about ¢4,500 ($8.00) per person. It has open air showers, bathrooms, ice for sale and electricity. You can reserve a spot by calling 2654-4213.
- Playa Hermosa Beach: Congo’s Hostel and Camping offers a BBQ zone, two stoves, sinks for washing dishes, drinkable water, showers and bathrooms. The rate is ¢4,000 ($7.15). To get there you must enter the second entrance for Playa Hermosa and walk 300 meters toward the beach. There you can rent tents for camping. It also has a hostel. For more information call the following phone numbers: 2672-1168 or 8844-4116.
If you are going to camp don’t forget:
- Sunblock, sunglasses and bug repellent.
- Clothes appropriate for warm and chilly weather. Sweater and pants for night time.
- Lanterns or flashlights.
- First aid kit
- Flint and stone, matches or a lighter for the stove.
- Tent, sleeping bag and blankets.