Region, Nicoya

July 25 March Joined by President Solis

Esta publicación también está disponible en: Español

A march by organized groups making a variety of requests to President Luis Guillermo Solis during the morning of July 25 passed peacefully, though the day did see a few incidents.

The march started around 9:30 a.m., leaving from La Anexion Hospital and ending at the central park in Nicoya at 11:30 a.m.

There were a few incidents throughout the event, most notably when transportation police tried to stop a car that carried the protestors’ sound system (Tumba Cocos). However, the protestors were able to make an agreement with authorities following negotiations.

El Capitán Rafael Delgado de la policía de Tránsito indicó que solo eran medidas de precaución: “los manifestantes pueden pasar, pero no deben llevar el sonido de los alto parlantes para no interrumpir la sesión del Consejo de Gobierno que se celebra en el edificio de Coopealianza, la idea es no interferir en las demás actividades,” indicó Delgado.

Captain Rafael Delgado of the Transportation Police indicated that they were only taking precautionary measures. “The protesters can pass, but they should not have a sound system with large speakers to not interrupt the Government Council session being held in the Coopealianza building; the idea is to not interfere with the other events,” said Delgado.

The protestors’ requests included some that have been demanded for years: approval of the TECOCOS bill to prevent the relocation of residents of coastal areas, the lack of housing, the lack of drinking water in some communities and approval for a fishing and aquaculture law that prohibit fishing with trawlers. The request to build a new courthouse was added to the mix, as the current facility is in a bad state due to overcrowding.

A lawyer and one of the march’s promoters, Wilmar Matarrita (from the Broad Front party) thanked the President for his opening gesture. “From the start he has shown interest in supporting us in our projects and the battles we have in Guanacaste. Thank you Mr. President!” shouted Matarrita.

At the end, the chief executive joined the march and spoke through the sound system. “I want to tell [my] friends about Tecocos, that I completely understand your concern, but we are always open to dialogue, above all when things are requested in a respectful way, like you have done so today,” said Solis.